Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Chicken Whisperer

He's good with cats, he's good with dogs, and now Noah's good with chickens!

We got 3 Red Stars and 1 Americana chick today from Tony & Amanda in Parker. They have a bunch of chickens and we have been getting great free-range eggs from them for a few months now. The Red Stars are 100% guaranteed to be hens and the Americanas are 94% guaranteed to be hens, so I figured taking the chance on 1 rooster was ok.

In these pictures, Noah has a heating pad on his lap and he's "putting the chicks to sleep" with his hand. Heat and a little dark are all these chicks need to go to sleep in about 3 seconds. As you can see in the 3rd picture, one of the little Red Stars was so relaxed, that her foot was sticking straight up!

We have the coop built and all set to go for when these girls are old enough to go outside. I guess they could be outside now, with their heat lamp, but we really want them to be our pets too, so they are inside for a while. I told Noah that they will think he's their "Mommy" and he's A-ok with that! :o)

Noah has already chosen the names, but we're saving naming the 3 Red Stars until we can tell them apart. The one Americana is named Bok. The other 3 will be named April, Fort and Fun-o. No idea where those names came from, but Noah spouted them out like he had been thinking it over for a while.

They'll lay in 5 or 6 months. 1 egg per day, per Red Star and 1 egg every day or every other day from the Americana. I can't wait!!!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Maura said...

I love your chicks... They look so sweet and soft. I'm jealous, I'd love to have chickens!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I so want a chicken now!

Anonymous said...

Hannah says 'I want one of does for my birfway'

Thanks....a....lot.

Jennifer said...

Oh we have to come see your chickies now!! I bet they are growing by the second.